Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Fifth Post

Living on Island Time

Communicating with the locals gets to be a hilarious vexation at times. I was in a conversation with a realtor the other day whose answer to my every question was yes. I’m grateful, truly grateful, I hadn’t urgent need for the lavatory – CR or comfort room, here – and her directions were required to find it.

If you are planning on meeting someone at noon, it could be today and it might not when your date shows up. I’ve attended meetings where I was the only one there until it was time for the meeting to be over. I was told it was just Island Time and to not get uptight. As one of my friends used to say, “Breathe In – Breathe Out.”

I need to move out of my ghetto. Friends have told me this place is dangerous, and true enough, there are some unsavory types here I wouldn’t invite over for dinner. On the other hand, there is a charming neighborhood near here.

I couldn’t find a taxi yesterday, and took a tricycle – a bicycle with a side car – in lieu of. Interesting ride. The driver turned off the main drag and I was a bit apprehensive until we passed a good sized knot of children playing along side the road. The kids started yelling and cheering and waving while the driver was having a hard time pedaling because he was laughing so hard.

We passed by them to turn down yet another narrow lane. This one had nice, middle class Filipino homes lining both sides. The homes looked well tended and the people lacked the scruffiness to be found right here. There were also several very attractive young women who stood talking and turned to smile as we moved by. I’ll bet I was the first lone Caucasian who had been down that street in any of the residents’ collective memory.

The weather has turned hot, and being outside out of the breeze is miserable. It’s very okay here as I’m on the second floor and an onshore breeze is keeping things pleasant.
I walked into a locally owned store yesterday to see about a belt buckle to replace the one that has failed several times in the past. The proprietress asked me if I wanted to rent a house. I said sure, so one thing led to another.



There is a new subdivision 5 KM from downtown where they were building a 3 BR, 2 BA 2,600 square foot home for their daughter who has decided to delay her return from abroad for another 7 years or so. It is about a KM from blue water, so ocean breezes avail.
















The house is unfinished, but beautifully appointed. The use of wood as trim is lavish. Some of it would go for a small fortune in a specialty lumber yard in the states. Ceilings in the living room and master bedroom are coffered.
Something uniquely Filipino are the use of two kitchens. One named the “dirty” kitchen, the other one is the “clean” kitchen. Dirty kitchens are used for laundry and charcoal cookery.

The place needs some painting, plastering, electrical, landscaping, and the like. The 72 year old builder says make him an offer.

I just might.

No comments: